Search This Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Motivate Me

The more I talk to people the more I find that what motivates people to work out and eat right really is not all that different from one person to the next. There are general differences between men and women, but there are also similarities.

The younger generation of men and women (I find) is more about competition. Either with themself or with a partner. It could be with friends or even family members.

For myself, my sisters have been my motivation. We've never competed against one another, but we've always shared eachother's health and fitness secrets with one another.

Jennifer, my oldest sister, began figure skating when she was young. She is muscular and has the meanest six pack around. Alexis is my middle sister. She was always voluptuous, curvy and bootylicious. As she's gotten older I would actually say she's skinny, but she also has great abs. We've become an iron pumping family. When we get together we go to the gym. It's very motivating because we're all positive people and when positive people get together it creates even more positivity. Now that's a lot of +++++'s!

While working yesterday, a tall beefy young man asked what I competed in. I told him that I just like to exercise. However, it's more than just about liking exercise. It's about how it makes me feel. And it's, occassionally, about the reactions you get from other people.

Having been a chronic binger for about nine years I went up and down and up and down and up and down...you get the point...with my weight for years. I fought with the scale. I can remember my mom saying to me "Kelsey, you're getting a little big". She had no clue what I was going through as a teenager, of course. And either did I, really. I was dealing with feelings by eating food. Feelings hurt!

Eventually, I started exercising because I learned in school that it could help you lose weight. THAT motivated me! Results motivated me.

Other motives for exercise are seeing the physical changes whether it's fat loss or muscle mass. Muscles are truly beautiful. There is nothing like being able to see your own abs and the shape of your true body forming. Flex your muscles and you can see the different dimensions of them in the mirror. It sounds a little conceited. And it is. But, if you've worked hard for it, then who cares. Over time I've seen a big difference in my glutes and that's a major problem area on women because it is covered with dense adipose tissue. It's one of the best feelings to feel proud of your body. I also notice that after a few days off at the gym my muscles feel flat so that pump I get is motivating.

Intrinsic changes are incredibly motivating as well. Improved VO2 and lowered blood pressure are reasons I like to hit the gym. I know this when I go to the doctor and I ask what my blood pressure is. I can feel when I run how much easier it is to breathe compared to when I played soccer in high school.

The guy I talked to at the gym said he wasn't naturally big and muscular. He eats several meals throughout the day and works out early before work every morning. For him, it's the competition between his friends and the endorphins he gets when he works out that motivates him. The same endorphins are released during a workout that are released when a person does drugs. It's THAT good. :)

Lastly, I'd like to talk about building relationships. People often say they go to the gym to take a load off. They've had a stressful day at the office and need to blow off some steam. The gym is the place to do that. And everyone there can relate. It's not a place to be negative. It's a place to be positive. Some people go to the bar. Well, people who go to the gym mingle just like people at the bar. You've got regulars and those who haven't been in three months. But, everyone here talks to one another and there are special relationships between some that keep them coming back on a regular basis. It keeps them....motivated to workout.

So, what motivates people to exercise?
I'd say top of the list is feeling good (aka the endorphins released)
Physical results that are tangible...or you can see them
    * weight loss
    * getting bigger
    * getting stronger(could be considered intrinsic)
Intrinsic results
    *better breathing (VO2)
    *bone density
    *blood pressure
    *stable glucose levels
   *decreased appetite
Building relationships


No comments:

Post a Comment