Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Chest, tri's, and cardio.

Workout 20

I'm not going to lie. Ever since I've decided to take charge of my body and transform it by doing regular exercise I am feeling inspired and excited about the changes I'm seeing. With the way I've been training lately I am seeing results as fast as P90X, Insanity, or any other program of that sort. These workouts are time-efficient, effective, and diverse in exercise composition.

And to be honest. I really got tired of writing out programs for myself because they were boring. They were always split routines and consisted of several isolation exercises such as bicep curls, tricep extensions, chest press, etc. That is, however, a good quality to have in a personal trainer. A trainer who sits down and thinks about each clients strengths and weaknesses and what exercises can be incorporated to strengthen those weaknesses and improve strength where the client is already strong is a well trained...trainer.

I decided functional training is the way to go for quick results, and usually I make up the workout on the way to the gym. Keep in mind that the term quick results is at least 8 weeks. No one workout is the same as the next. I am familiar with my own body and how far I can push myself, so making up my own workout on a whim isn't necessarily a bad thing. Do I have weaknesses? Absolutely I do. I have one weak hip, and I make sure that I incorporate stretches to alleviate the deep pain I feel at the beginning of my workout so I am properly warmed up. My shoulder range of motion is terrible, so I add in exercises a couple times a week to improve it. Most people who don't exercise regularly, are just starting a program, or haven't taken the time to familiarize themselves with their own bodies don't realize these limitations (or strengths) unless it is painful for them.

I wouldn't suggest making up a workout on a whim on your own unless you know each muscle and what it does.

A few things I keep in mind when creating a workout are:
  • Choose a muscle group to train such as chest and tri's, back and bi's, back and hams, shoulders, glutes, and abs...
  • Choose exercises you think would superset or giant set together well. For instance, if you get light headed easily, don't choose to go from a lying supine exercise to a standing/jumping exercise.
  • Perform multijoint exercises before isolated exercises.
  • Incorporate high intensity exercises like bunny hops, mountain climbers, rock stars, burpees, skaters, jump squats, high knees, etc.
  • Give yourself up to 30 seconds of rest between each superset.
I am going to try to give you a little information before I give you the workout of the day. Hopefully it helps a little.

Workout 20:

Triset 1, Repeat 2x:
Decline push-ups on physioball...1 minute
Alternate tricep kickback (half-squat stance)...10 lbs, 1 minute
Lateral step (side to side) on aerobic step with risers...30 seconds
Step-ups....30 seconds

Triset 2, Repeat 2x:
Alternate dumbbell chest press on physioball (I do one arm at a time)...20 lbs, one minute or 12 each arm
Sumo squat with alternate overhead tricep extension....10 lbs each hand, 1 minute
Lateral step (side to side) on aerobic step....30 seconds
Step-ups...30 seconds

Triset 3, Repeat 2x:
Reverse crunch with dumbbell flye...10 lbs each hand, 1 minute
Side plank (switch sides halfway)...one minute
Rockstar jumps...30 seconds or 20 jumps

Repeat workout once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment